1. Customer Privacy Statement
2. Our Commitment to Privacy
(1) Cougar Shoes is committed to controlling the collection, use, and disclosure of the Personal Information (as defined in section 3(1)) provided by its customers, in accordance with applicable law.
3. What is Personal Information?
(2) We may receive Personal Information from our business partners and other third parties provided that such third parties confirm to us that they have obtained your consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information to us.
(3) Publicly available information, such as a public directory listing of your name, address, telephone number and electronic address, is not considered Personal Information.
4. Collection and Use of Personal Information
(1) Cougar Shoes collects and uses your Personal Information primarily for the purpose of sending you emails about updates to the Website, sending you emails concerning your purchases from the Website, about new store openings, about information on new products and services, and in order to respond to your questions concerning Cougar Shoes, our products and services. This Website may be operated, in whole or in part, from a country other than the United States. By using our Website, you consent to having your personal information transferred to and processed in a jurisdiction outside of the United States.
(2) Your Personal Information is used to communicate with you about your requests and to provide you with information related to Cougar Shoes and our products and services and your purchases, and returns if any, of our products and services. If you indicated that you were interested in receiving offers or information from selected sponsors or advertisers, your Personal Information would also be used to contact you or to send you e-mail materials and other mailings about products and services that might be of interest to you. You always have the option, however, to tell us not to share your Personal Information or to exclude you from offers for other products or services or to remove you from our mailing list.
(3) Cougar Shoes may also contact you from time to time to conduct market research and surveys in an effort to continually improve our product and service offerings.
(4) Through use of our Website, you permit us to have ongoing access to certain information from your other accounts through other service providers. Those other accounts may include social media accounts that may contain other Personal Information about you (e.g., name, e-mail address, profile photo, gender, birthday, location, your list of friends and their contact information, people you follow and/or who follow you, the posts or the 'likes' you make); any of this information we receive that is Personal Information we shall only deal with in accordance with this Privacy Statement. We may also receive non-personally identifiable information (e.g., content viewed and information about advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on, etc.) from your interaction with our content. If you post information or content, such as by posting photos, product reviews or commenting on a blog, or when you interact with our Website through social media sites, plug-ins or other applications, depending on your privacy settings, this information may become public on the Internet and for that reason we cannot control how it will be used. Nevertheless, to the extent such information is Personal Information we shall only deal with it in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
(5) Our Website sometimes allows you to submit non-Personal Information about other people. For example, you may purchase a gift card for a friend and submit to us the person's name, telephone number, e-mail, and address so we can mail or e-mail the gift to them.
(6) Unless you specifically authorize us to release your Personal Information, or release is required or permitted by law, Cougar Shoes will not sell, lease or trade your Personal Information to other third parties.
(7) Anonymous or “non-personal” information gathered by Cougar Shoes through our Website may be used for technical, research and analytical purposes. Information collected through surveys, existing files and public archives may be used by Cougar Shoes to analyze our markets and to develop or enhance service offerings.
(8) Cougar Shoes will only ask for information about you that we need and will only ask for it when we need it. When we ask you for the information, we will explain to you why we need it and what we are going to do with it.
(9) We will seek your prior consent to the collection, use and disclosure of the information as required by applicable privacy legislation. Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you can refuse to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of information about you. You may also withdraw your consent to any further collection, use or disclosure of information about you at any time by giving us reasonable notice. If our intended disclosures or uses of information change, we will notify you accordingly.
(10) Your Personal Information will not be used for any other purpose without your consent.
(11) Your Personal Information may be stored on servers and computers located outside of Canada, which are managed by companies that meet the security requirements for Cougar Shoes and its customers.
5. DisclosureTo enable us to more efficiently provide the products and services you have requested from us, Cougar Shoes may share your Personal Information with selected third parties who are acting on our behalf as our agents, suppliers or service providers. Such third party service providers are provided only with such information as is necessary in the circumstances. Information provided to third parties may be used only for the purpose stipulated and is subject to strict terms of confidentiality.
6. Use of Collection Tools
(1) Cougar Shoes uses a certain feature to collect information anonymously and track user patterns on our Websites, including but not limited to cookies, pixel tags, and/or web beacons (collectively, “Collection Tools”). Use of Collection Tools can consist of a small text file that is placed on your hard disk by a website and can contain a unique identification number that identifies your browser, but not you, to our computers each time you visit our Website. Collection Tools tell us which pages of our Website are visited and by how many people. We may partner with third parties to display or manage advertising on the Website or other websites. Our partner(s) may use Collection Tools to collect information about your activities on our Website and other websites to provide you with targeted advertising based upon your interests. Our system may not respond to “Do Not Track” requests or headers from some or all internet browsers.
(2) The use of Collection Tools is an industry standard and many major browsers are initially set up to accept them. You can reset your browser to either refuse to Collection Tools or otherwise provide notification when Collection Tools are used. If you refuse to accept the use of Collection Tools, Cougar Shoes may be unable to provide you with certain features, products, or and/services, and functionality may be impeded. We recommend that you leave Collection Tools "turned on" so that we can offer you a better shopping experience.
If you share content from the Website through third parties websites (including but not limited to social media) you may be sent Collection Tools from these websites, and your activity on the Website becomes subject to the privacy policies of such other websites/services. Cougar Shoes does not control the setting of third party Collection Tools, and suggests you refer to relevant third parties websites for more information.
Cougar Shoes will try to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, please inform Cougar Shoes of any change of name, address or other information. In the event you have questions about the accuracy of factual information we have collected about you, you will have access to that information in order to verify and update it. If we have disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, we will be pleased to contact the third party in order to correct the information.
Cougar Shoes is committed to protecting your privacy. Security measures, such as locked filing cabinets, restricted access or the use of passwords and encryption have been adopted to protect your Personal Information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Our employees have been trained to respect your privacy at all times and those employees with access to your Personal Information shall use your Personal Information strictly in accordance with our Privacy Statement and the laws applicable to each specific business. While Cougar Shoes attempts to safeguard Personal Information once it has received it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be certified to be 100% secure, and you acknowledge that to be the case.
(1) If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information or if you simply want to know whether we have any of your Personal Information on file, you may contact us. Except in limited circumstances, as specifically provided by applicable privacy legislation, Cougar Shoes can tell you whether it holds Personal Information about you. It can tell you the source of the information, allow you access to your Personal Information and find an account of the use that has been made or is being made of the information and the third parties to which it has been disclosed.
(2) Cougar Shoes will only refuse access to information about you in those circumstances permitted or required by applicable privacy legislation. If Cougar Shoes refuses access to you, it will provide you with the reasons for its refusal upon request. Exceptions may include information that contains references to other individuals, information that cannot be disclosed for legal, security or commercial proprietary reasons, and information that is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege. Cougar Shoes will respond to your requests for access in accordance with applicable privacy legislation.
10. Questions or Concerns
(2) Cougar Shoes has procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about its handling of Personal Information. They will describe the complaint procedures to anyone who makes inquiries or lodges complaints.
(3) If you are not satisfied with the response from us after making a complaint, you may have recourse to additional remedies under applicable privacy legislation. For further information, please contact the federal Privacy Commissioner or your provincial Privacy Commissioner, or state official, as applicable.
(1) The foregoing policies are effective as of the “Last Update” date stated above. Cougar Shoes reserves the right to change this policy at any time, and will post a notice of such change prior to implementation. This statement and the policies outlined here are not intended to and do not create any contractual or other legal rights in or on behalf of any party.
12. Child Privacy
Cougar Shoes does not knowingly or intentionally collect or solicit personally identifiable information from persons under the age of thirteen (13). If you are under the age of thirteen (13) you should not register, order, purchase, receive information from, or provide any information to, Cougar Shoes.
13. Ten Principles of Fair Information Practices
(1) Accountability. Cougar Shoes is responsible for the Personal Information under its control and shall designate one or more individuals who shall be accountable for the company’s compliance with the procedures and principles set out in our Privacy Statement.
(2) Identifying Purpose. Cougar Shoes will identify the purpose for which Personal Information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. The purposes for which information is collected, used or disclosed by Cougar Shoes must be those that a reasonable person would consider are appropriate in the circumstances.
(3) Consent. The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, except where consent is not required by privacy legislation, for example, where the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information is solely for journalistic, artistic or literary purposes.
(4) Limiting Collection. Cougar Shoes shall limit the collection of Personal Information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the company. Personal Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
(5) Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention. Personal Information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal Information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected.
(6) Accuracy. Personal Information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
(7) Safeguards. Personal Information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
(8) Openness. Cougar Shoes shall make readily available to its customers and employees specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information.
(9) Individual Access. Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her Personal Information and shall be given access to that information except where Cougar Shoes is permitted or required by law not to disclose Personal Information to the individual customer or employee. An individual customer or employee shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information disclosed to him or her and have it amended as appropriate.
(10) Challenging Compliance. An individual customer or employee shall be able to address a challenge to Cougar Shoes concerning compliance with the principles in our Privacy Statement.